Pages

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Season of Giving

I noticed that the best gifts that I get at this time of the year at this time of my life are from my friends.

Not from my parents because they don't give me gifts anymore because for one, they are old enough to stop playing Santa to me. I am the youngest of three children and I am 26.

Not from my sister or brother because I've been independent for about three years now, I've been away and they only see me on birthdays and holidays and some occasional lunch outs and coffee bonding. I think they don't know me anymore. Well at least what I want or use on a regular basis. My sister and I are really close, but she still thinks that I still am a psuedo hippie (the original hippies are the people from San Fo, and technically, all others are psuedo hippies) who wears floral clothes and loves flower-decorated accessories. I would still do, when I get thin enough to fit my bellbottoms. I still am a psuedo hippie at heart, though.

At the age of 26, the people I always see are my officemates, my housemates, and my friends. Two days ago, a lesbian friend gave me a box of Marlboro Red flip tops as exchange gift. The next day, an officemate gave me a fabulous lighter. Today, another lesbian friend gave me a necktie. A special someone gave me the Victorinox pocket tools I've been wanting for ages. You can now judge me by the gifts I received from four people.

I have yet to see the gifts my relatives would give me, but I'm 80% sure that they would be stuck in the 90s when I was still cute, girly and skinny. But I love the gifts they give me, make me wanna become skinny and girly again. Cute, however, I cannot go back to.

I give gifts every year to all of my relatives that I see on a regular basis. And give gifts to all my godchildren (inaanaks), i have eight, though some of them have not seen me for years. I always want to make sure that when they come, I have something to give them. But just like my sister to me, I can say, I think I don't know some of them anymore. Well at least what they want or use on a regular basis.

But honestly, what I want or use on a regular basis doesn't matter. It's the thought that counts. Really. I am thankful that no matter how far I've been or how detached I've become (because of work and other things that maturing grown ups do like become independent and shit), they still include me to their shopping lists. I am thankful that I still receive gifts at times when the oil price is really high. And I am happy to still buy gifts for people I don't see even at times when the oil price is really high. Because it would be sad if an inaanak comes, expecting for a present and doesn't get one.

I am thankful that I still get gifts from friends. I am thankful that even if my parents don't give me gifts anymore, they are still with me on birthdays and holidays and some occasional lunch outs and coffee bonding. I am thankful that I still get gifts, period.

Because some people dont even know what a gift is, at this season of giving. Some haven't even celebrated Christmas yet. Because they cannot afford to.

So let's not forget to share our blessings. Have a Merry Christmas!

No comments:

learn. live. hippie. gypsy. 60's. mod. native. world. music. crafts. performing arts. theatre. visual arts. bands. djembe. culture. literature. travel. activism. nature. trees. beach. vegetarian. red. yellow. green. earth. water. fire.
peace. love. rock and
roll.

word • text • writing • statement • anecdote • yarn • literature • narrative • thoughts • article • chronicle • copy • entry • story • history • fiction • expression • declaration • legend • tale • rumor • humor • lies • truth
• altum viditur