Pages

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Awesome Ska-pade (June 24)

Once again, a tiring day but also a Skanking one. I wonder if Ska night is equal to work-out day. My first Awesome Ska-pade, though I did not mention, had me running around the general UP area making some things done, and getting all soaked in the pouring rain, and being stuck in a really, really heavy traffic on my way to Makati in the earlier part of the day. The next one got me traveling from Caloocan to QC to Ortigas to Meycauyan before finally skanking again in Makati. This time, I spent 1/3 of my day traveling from Caloocan to UP to Sto. Domingo Church, and walking from Sto. Domingo Church with fellow anti-GMA marchers to the QC-Manila Rotonda and that's under the scorching sun, then walking and traveling back to UP to pick up some stuffs, then traveling to Timog and walking down to Kolumn Bar to finally do some dancing.

Yep, skanking night has always been preceded by a work out day. Not to mention that dancing ska is a work-out in itself.

Though it's a new venue, the usual PiliSKApinas bands were there for a SKA MAX night: SMB, Out for Lunch, The Usual Suspects and Shuffle Union, plus, the remarkable Skabeche. Also present were the usual Ska City United crowds. Unlike going to rock and alternative gigs, I could easily recognize the familiar faces. Ska City has its following, I wouldn't wonder why the familiar skanormals and skinheads. I have been one of them for the past couple of skankings.

The habitual dancing and frolicking started already. I took some time to rest on a chair already reserved for me by my skamates. We were sitting next to some dread heads' table. Taking a second look at the dread heads, I recognized that they were the Rubadub vocalist and guitarist. When The Usual Suspects were up, we went to the dance floor until it was Shuffle Union. We were to stay there in anticipation of Skabeche but some dancers got a little rowdy. These were people that were not exactly one of our usual crowds. They were doing the ska alright but then they started pushing each other and body slamming we had to back away a little. But then again, the girl on the mic called on an imported ska vocalist from Cebu. I'm so sorry I forgot her name but I got her face clearly pictured on my mind. I'm sure to catch her again in another ska night, though. And so she went up the stage, got the mic and greeted everyone in Cebuano. Then with all enthusiasm, she exclaimed "Come on Eileen!" Like any other ska nights, I grabbed my skamates and took the middle front of the dance floor. This song just always got me on my feet and dance enthusiastically. Like any ska other night, "Come on Eileen" got me excitedly and willingly dancing like no more ska nights would ever follow. Tonight, like any other ska nights, my name was Eileen!


25 June 2005 | 03:50 AM

No comments:

learn. live. hippie. gypsy. 60's. mod. native. world. music. crafts. performing arts. theatre. visual arts. bands. djembe. culture. literature. travel. activism. nature. trees. beach. vegetarian. red. yellow. green. earth. water. fire.
peace. love. rock and
roll.

word • text • writing • statement • anecdote • yarn • literature • narrative • thoughts • article • chronicle • copy • entry • story • history • fiction • expression • declaration • legend • tale • rumor • humor • lies • truth
• altum viditur