Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2005

(Romeo) Lee’s Night (June 7)

If it's Tuesday night, then it must be Lee's Night at Mag:net Katipunan Avenue.

Friends from UP ORG (Outdoor Recreation Group) have been inviting me to see Lee's Night every Tuesday but this was the first time that I was able to attend. I received a text message from Chantel a few minutes before 8 PM. This was one of the very few instances that I was able to eat dinner, wash the dishes, freshen and dress up in under 30 minutes. It was a tough challenge. All the way from Caloocan, I arrived in Mag:net at about 9:30 while they were still having dinner at the Meat Shop in Xavierville. I wandered around Loyola Heights for a while, looking for a place that sold my cigarette brand. I came back 15 minutes after and they were already there.

We did not go upstairs to see the bands play until it was almost 10:30. While downstairs, a couple of dread heads came, then a guy carrying a pair of bongos, then some boys, yes, boys – young men, clutching wind instruments with them. There were only three bands playing that night, Ampon, Bellfast, and Rubadub. I guessed this band's Rubadub.

The place was small so some 40 people already crowded the floor. Among the crowd was no less than Ces Drilon. (They said she's the owner of the bar.) The second band was already playing when we settled to a corner. They did some Linkin Park. They did originals. They were fine. After their set, Lee went up the stage, made his trademark hosting skills and introduced the band with the dread heads and horny boys. Yes, I was right, they're Rubadub – the name suggested their kind of music and when I saw these guys with the 'dos and percs, I knew they were the type who'd do dub.

Since I only had 2 minutes to dress up, I wore an army-camouflage shirt, which I just grabbed from the closet. One of the dread heads was wearing an army-camouflage jacket. So my friends teased me that I should go up the stage with Rubadub and sound-check with "my band mates" since my hair and outfit coordinated with the band members'. Teasing lasted for about 5 minutes, but it didn't matter because the band was busy setting up, they did not hear us.

I stood up from my bar stool, I knew it would be sing-along-and-dance time again. Rubadub's first song: "Iron Lion Zion". Then an orig, then "Redemption Song", then two origs, then "Stir it Up", then "Exodus", then a song request written on a piece of tissue paper. I was near the stage so I was able to read what the request was "Santa Ria by Sublimb". Oh come on! Well, anyway, again, it did not matter because they pulled it off quite okay. It was Santeria by Sublime! They did two more Bob Marley songs and joked that they were actually doing a "Bob Marley Tribute".

Rubadub was good. Their original songs were in Filipino. If I remember it right, one of their songs was about the youth, one was about music, and one was about love. Or was it that the songs about the youth and music were actually one and the same song? Sheesh…

Oh well…

They plugged for their next gig in Gasoline Alley this Friday. Maybe I'll go there. Maybe I will stalk them because they looked like good people. And they played well and looked like they were having fun while on stage (which, I learned from experience, is an essential in playing with a band). Oh, did I mention that the horny boys (those boys with the trumpets and saxophone; horns) looked like they were just passing by when they suddenly decided to go with the band to a gig. One of them had the pinabili lang ng suka ng nanay nya look – big grayish cotton sando with arm holes down to the waist and baggy denim pants. Haha! Cute! A little move and your nipples would wave at me boy!

Anyway, the two bands that we caught were good. Rubadub was good. Or I was biased because they do reggae. Lee was spontaneously witty and fun. He even told me that if I could arrange it, my band could play on his nights, while he's still there "dahil baka mawala na ako", referring to passing away (because of old age). Haha! Nice one Lee!

I wish of more Tuesdays like this. I also get to be with Chantel. But that's another story.

If it's Tuesday night, then it must be Lee's Night at Mag:net Katipunan Avenue.


08 June 2005 | 10:10 PM

No comments:

learn. live. hippie. gypsy. 60's. mod. native. world. music. crafts. performing arts. theatre. visual arts. bands. djembe. culture. literature. travel. activism. nature. trees. beach. vegetarian. red. yellow. green. earth. water. fire.
peace. love. rock and
roll.

word • text • writing • statement • anecdote • yarn • literature • narrative • thoughts • article • chronicle • copy • entry • story • history • fiction • expression • declaration • legend • tale • rumor • humor • lies • truth
• altum viditur