Pages

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Who was I?

I was born and raised (but only until I was seven) in the province. My first teacher was Ms. Maroma. I was in kindergarten. The first boy that had a crush on me was my classmate named Ryan. My first crush on a boy was to the school priest's grandson, Darwin. My first crush was Mary Ann.

My family moved to the city when I was 7.5 years old. I took an entrance exam in a private school in the city and passed it but chose to go to a public school instead. I could not believe that little girls aged seven and below would yell at their yayas, in the school ground.

I finished my elementary schooling at a public school. I wore white blouse and green pleated skirt. I had a choice of going to my Mom's high school but they enrolled me to a high school in Tondo -- where my Tita was schooled. They say some pretty popular celebrities went to that high school - like Dolphy. I did not believe them. Doesn't matter. High school was a blast for me.

I was in section 5 in my first year, section 2 in my second year, section 3 in my third year, section 1 in my fourth year in high school. I did not have honors but graduated in the top 2% of our batch. I had more than a thousand batchmates in senior year. I attended the Prom twice. I think.

I took the entrance exam of a state university. I was to take another exam to a university in EspaƱa but got the results from the exam at the state university ahead. I only took one college entrance exam, at my dream school and passed it, on a quota course. But that does not pass me as intelligent. I just got lucky.

I finished a non-quota course because I shifted from my prestigious quota course to a more colorful course. I shifted because, for one, I thought the new course does not require a licensure board exam to practice. I was obviously wrong. The new course was fun. But the teachers were strict and the people were a bit boring. Unlike in my original course, students would smoke in a no-smoking floor and would go directly to a watering hole nearby after classes.

I joined a theater group, and four other organizations. All related to art -- film, photography, cultural arts, and architecture. But I did not even try to join a club under the college or department that I graduated from.

I was in second year college when I started hosting the UP Fair, I've done it until this year. Then I had a band.

I drank every after class in the summer of 2003. I got drunk thrice in college -- in a frat house, in my band mate's house and in my orgmate's house. I used to party hard. I went to hundreds of concerts and I only had to pay a ticket once. I had VIP tickets and all access passes. But that does not pass me as important, I just got lucky.

I wore a beige and mocha custom-made dress-gown in my graduation march. The photographer was not able to catch me receiving my diploma on stage. Bummer.

I bummed for 1.25 years after I graduated from college. I applied for a part time call center job, passed the exam but did not take the job because my best friend did not pass. I applied in a furniture shop that has a branch in Megamall (among others) but the owner said I was over qualified. That was the first time I was discriminated because I went to a good school.

I got my first paycheck in January of 2006. After that, I always paid tickets.

I wore sunglasses in the morning, I wore them at night. Some college friends never saw my bare eyes in daylight.

I girl-watched with guy friends. Because girls are pretty. I fell in love with boys, and girls too. I fell in love with enemies, and friends too. I had boyfriends, I had girlfriends, maybe I had too much love to give.

I was born 26 years ago, today.

No comments:

learn. live. hippie. gypsy. 60's. mod. native. world. music. crafts. performing arts. theatre. visual arts. bands. djembe. culture. literature. travel. activism. nature. trees. beach. vegetarian. red. yellow. green. earth. water. fire.
peace. love. rock and
roll.

word • text • writing • statement • anecdote • yarn • literature • narrative • thoughts • article • chronicle • copy • entry • story • history • fiction • expression • declaration • legend • tale • rumor • humor • lies • truth
• altum viditur